How it works…
We sell all books for 50% off the retail price.
DVD’s sell for $5 each or 3 for $12. Blu-ray’s sell for $7 each or 3 for $18.
LP vinyl records and CD’s sell for $5 each or 3 for $12. 7″(45) records and cassettes sell for $2 each or 3 for $5.
We give half this amount in trade credit for the items you bring in that we accept. What we take depends on condition, popularity & what we have in stock. We’re always happy to look at what you want to trade at any time. Our trade policy is customer friendly. There are no hidden fees and you can use your credit at The Book Exchange in Virginia Beach or Norfolk for any books, movies & music at any time.
For those who want a detailed explanation of how our trade process works, feel free to read the following:
- We accept trades daily during all store hours: Monday through Saturday 9am-7pm. Sunday 12pm-7pm.
- Relax with us as we go through trades on site while you shop! Depending on the size, the trade could take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. However, during busy times (weekends and holidays) or for older books with no barcodes, the wait time for trades could be longer.
- We inspect items for many variables, but mainly checking for good condition and popular items that we don’t already have in stock. We’ll get into specifics later when you keep scrolling.
- There is no limit to the amount of items that you can bring in! If you’re in a hurry, and don’t have time to browse in the store while we go through your items, you can leave them with us as a drop-off. We will then evaluate your items and give you a call when we’re finished. Store credit cards will need to then be picked up within the week. All items we are not able to use can be donated to charity.
- You’ll receive store credit for the items we do take (we are unable to accept items in exchange for cash).
WHAT WE ACCEPT
Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but here are some of the criteria on which we base our process:
- Books in good condition that are popular.
- DVDs & Blu-rays(this includes documentaries, televisions series, exercise and fitness DVDs, etc) in good condition in their full sized DVD cases with original artwork.
- CDs, vinyl records & music cassette tapes in good condition from artists that are popular, in their original packaging with original artwork.
- Audiobooks in good condition
- Please sort through your items before bringing them in to our store. We understand wanting to clear the clutter but we will turn away items that are in poor condition. We also ask that the bags and boxes you bring your items in are clean, this means bug and pet dander/allergen free please!
WHAT WE DON’T ACCEPT
- Books in poor condition. This includes water damage, torn covers and/or pages, excessive underlining, highlighting, and/or notes, animal hair, bugs, or items that have been too “well-loved”.
- Items with MA and older teen ratings or parental advisories.
- VHS and cassette tapes.
- Items that are bootleg.
- DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, cassettes and most vinyl records without cases/covers.
- Readers Digest publishings and Readers Digest Condensed Books.
- Time Life publishings.
- Outdated non-fiction (irrelevant study guides, computer books, travel guides, etc.)
- Encyclopedia sets.
- Newspapers or Magazines (this includes National Geographic).
- Items of which we are presently overstocked.
- For books that we take, you’ll receive 1/4th of the original retail price in store credit.
- For BluRays & TV Series brought in, you’ll receive $4 each in store credit.
- For DVDs, CDs and LP vinyl records brought in, you’ll receive $2.50 each in store credit (Double LPs and CDs will count double). 45’s and cassettes will get you $1 each in credit.
A LITTLE MORE INFO
- You can use the store credit that same day or save it for another time. You don’t have to spend it all at once.
- Store credit can be used on anything in our store inventory. Just because you trade in books, doesn’t mean that credit has to be used to get more books; you can spend it on CDs, DVDs, etc.!
- We no longer keep the store credit on file for customers. Our customer volume has become too great to keep track of, so we’re giving you the responsibility. The store card works like a gift card, as long as you have the card, you can use it. If the card is lost or misplaced, so is that credit. Therefore, we urge you to keep an eye or two on it. (We even have some customers that keep it in their glove compartment so they always know where it is!)
- If you don’t want the credit because you have too many books, movies, and CDs in your life, we can write the credit out as gift cards for your family and friends. This works great during the holiday season if you’re low on cash.
- There are also a couple of great charities in the area to whom you could donate the credit!